Getting DTS Working in SSMS
Here is how you set up your SSMS client to allow you to edit SQL 2000 DTS packages:
- Install SSMS 2005, 2008 or 2008 R2.
- Download and apply the latest Service Packs for your version of SSMS.
(SQL Server service packs also contain patches for all other SQL Server related software including SSMS)
- Download and install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Component from the Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP4.
There are three versions available depending on whether your PC is 32-bit, 64-bit or Itanium processor.
- Download and install Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components.
- Edit your PC's System Environment Variables and change the PATH so that the entry similar to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\" appears BEFORE all other occurrences of "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\NNN\Tools\Binn\"
(Where NNN is either the value 90, 100, 110.)
- Most important of all, restart your PC.